Morrisons planning application
Morrisons has applied for planning permission for a supermarket on the Hithercroft Industrial Estate. Sustainable Wallingford objects to this proposal on the following grounds.
- Out-of-town-centre supermarkets have been shown to have a negative impact on town centres and to encourage car usage. Morrisons’ proposals for an out-of-town-centre development is counter to SODC’s new Core Strategy. Policy CST1 (Town centres and shopping) states: “.... the Council looks for proposals for main town centre uses to be sited within defined town centres.” The Policy defines the town centre boundaries as the area within a town where retail development and leisure uses are concentrated; by this definition the proposed Morrisons development is more than 600m from the closest part of the town centre.
- SODC has recently given Planning Consent for redevelopment of the old Waitrose site, to include a supermarket. This is clearly within the defined town centre, so any bid for an out-of-town supermarket at this stage should be rejected.
What can you do if you oppose this application? Attend the SODC Planning Committee Meeting when the application is considered: we will publish the date on our website when it is known.
We are a grassroots, community-led and volunteer run organisation that works in the local community in and around Wallingford, Oxfordshire, to raise awareness and activity in sustainable living through:
- More efficient use of ENERGY.
- Reduction, recycling and reuse of produce to minimise WASTE.
- LOCAL SOURCING of food and other products.
- Adoption of less carbon intensive TRANSPORT and BIODIVERSITY .
You can find out more about our activities on this website. If this inspires you to get involved, please contact us.