The Food Group aims to promote healthy eating, home cooking and encourage people to eat what’s in season and local by:
- Eating less meat and sharing vegetarian/vegan recipes
- Growing veg with IncredibleEdible Wallingford – our new project to grow edibles to share with everyone, outside the Libraries in Wallingford and Benson
- Using our Local Food Directory to find convenient local suppliers
- Buying local food at the weekly Wallingford local producers’ market at St Mary’s Church
- Come to our Neighbourhood Nosh events, delicious suppers cooked from food from Fareshare which would otherwise be wasted
What is the outlook for our food supply? At almost every point, it depends on cheap fossil fuels for production, processing and transport. But there are local suppliers who are working to produce and market food ethically and sustainably – do support them!
What can we all do?
Do you use your loaf?
LOAF is a good set of principles for food choices:
We think it makes sense for everyone to:
- eat foods that are in season in the UK whenever possible;
- buy locally produced food;
- try home cooking – switch from prepared meals to fresh foods – see some favourite recipes here;
- reduce waste by making use of leftovers – you can get great leftover recipes from Love Food Hate Waste;
- try growing their own – join the local gardening clubs or IncredibleEdible Wallingford. And, there are courses available at the Oxford Garden Project.
The group are always looking for more people to get involved. Why not contact us.